Thursday, September 06, 2007

Hampi: Part 2

The ruins of Vijayanagara dynasty-Hampi has been described by innumerable people in many a poetic ways...
but this is what I feel being amidst the ruins.

* I imagine many hands carving the hard granite rocks to create these exquiste masterpieces.
* The seven notes of music arising from the magical, musical pillars.
* The grandeur that would have been the name of kingdom of Vijayanagara.
* I marvel at the rocks that have stood the test of time.
* I feel a sense of calm when I see the sun rise over the Mathanga Hill.
* The Tungabadhra flowing peacefully through the ruins.
* I try to read the faces of many sadhus and holy men who throng the temples of Hampi.
* I am lost in a world where rocks speak to me about the bygone era and ask us preserve them for the future generations...
A picture perfect Lotus Mahal- An Islamic influence in an otherwise Vijayanagara Style architecture.
Details on the Lotus Mahal...Beautiful Vijayanagara Architecture in the Vittala Temple...
Close-up of the wheel of the Stone Chariot in the Vittala temple premises...
Honestly now I truly understand how she feels looking at these structures & rocks...

8 comments:

shula said...

Divine.

The word verification reads gguru. Do you suppose it's trying to tell me something.

God, I miss India.

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

shula- Thanks:-)

Oh did it??:-) Very interesting:-)
Come soon:-)

Green Mirchi said...

hi arch... lovely post.. you took me right back.. i think one of my favorite places in hampi was the lotus mahal and the swimming pool nearby.. with its simple clean lines.. and all those steps. and also during one of our treks there I remember seeing a beautiful rama temple right by the river. we went with my grandfather (the painter and historian)when i was 16. we also visited belur halebid badami and finished the trip by visiting shringeri.oh sweet memories.

madelyn said...

Really pretty - I love your
photography - and the detail
of the lotus Mahal is gorgeous.

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Pacchai- Thanks..glad you liked it:-)

Maddie-Thanks :-)

Vineeta said...

So many pple have spoken to me about this magical place- & now your photographs.. I must go someday.

Anonymous said...

Because of you India has found its way into my daydreams and nightdreams. These photos take my breath away.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photographs.

It was one of the greatest empires in the south. You should read Portuguese traveler Domingos Paes and Fernao Nuniz accounts of this once great empire during 1500s you would be amazed by the wealth it once had and most detailed writings about beautiful costumes, crowns & jewelry people wore and palaces with golden wall interiors set in rubies and emeralds its a pretty good read.